The #1 place to buy low carb bread in Canada!
In recent years, low carb bread has become nothing less than desirable for everyone – regardless of diet. As a new study shows, low carb bread is so healthy, it can even diminish some risks of diabetes by helping to manage sugar levels! See this 2020 report from Diabetes Canada, to learn more about the proven benefits of a low carb diet.
Whether you’re ready to give it a try, or you’re a veteran, you’re in the right place. Bread is such an essential part of our daily lives, often a key component of all meals from breakfast to dinner, so then why is it so hard to find? Well, not anymore! The Low Carb Grocery has Canada’s widest selection of low carb bread, all in one place! Keep reading this article for a full breakdown of the best low carb breads in Canada, or click here for our complete catalogue of low carb breads pitas and wraps, and here for our wide selection of low carb bagels, buns and rolls!
Best Selling Low Carb Bread
The general rule of thumb with low carb bread is that most loaves will carry approximately 1g net carb per slice. This means, even if the nutritional label states 3g carb per slice with 2g fibre, you may subtract the 2g fibre (if you’re carb counting) because dietary fibre is not digested by the body – and therefore not stored in your body, which means it does not need to be burned with exercise. This is why fibre is notoriously known for helping with digestive aid.
Below is a list of our favourite low carb breads. Reminder, also these make for awesome low carb bread crumbs!
- Bakers Deluxe
- Bakers Deluxe bread tastes like your favourite regular bread, and toasts well. You can enjoy a variety of flavours, including plain, pumpernickel, rye with caraway seeds, super flax and more!. The carb intake may vary per flavour, but in almost every scenario, you will find that for 1 slice of bread or for 1 bagel, each will consist of only 1g net carbs per slice (with a ton of dietary fibre)! Bakers Deluxe breads reach this low carb threshold by eliminating traditional low-quality wheat and replacing it with high-quality flaxseed meal, wheat protein isolate and other high-quality ingredients blended together to form the best quality breads, buns and rolls.
- One of the fastest-growing low carb breads to hit the market, Chompie’s story begins at a full-serve deli restaurant in Arizona, where their tasteful low carb bread success had no choice but to transition to the grocery market!
- Today, Chompie’s is known as a fan favourite with great taste and only 1g net carb per slice. Try Chompie’s sesame bread today!
- Dimpflmeier – Power Slice Bread
- Formerly called Carb Smart Bread, Dimpflmeier is baked using artesian water, giving it the best flavour that nature can provide. Each slice boasts a huge 15g of protein, yet only a small 1g net carb per slice (with 3g fibre).
- Slice of Life
- This low cab bread is high in fibre and protein, gluten-free and jam-packed with crushed walnuts, flax and tasty pumpkin seeds! With all the benefits of nuts & seeds and fibre, slice of life bread is still delivering a very low 1.5g net carb sper slice! So, you get all the healthy benefits of good fats mixed right inside your guilt-free bread. That’s a win-win scenario!
- Slice of Life is also available in cinnamon raisin.
- Gluten-Free choice.
Again, these are only our top picks! Be sure to see our complete catalogue of low carb breads, pitas and wraps, and our complete catalogue of bagels, buns & rolls. Since each bread is baked with some alteration to the next, we strongly recommend trying a few brands to find your favourite – even if you love your first choice!
Why Buy Low Carb Instead of “Regular” Bread?
Everyone loves bread. We had to say it! Whether it’s a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a complex crostini on top of a French onion soup, bread always finds a way into our western daily lives. The fact is, the most popular bread in many homes is your traditional white bread (and you probably know which brand we’re talking about, too)! The issue is that this bread is completely loaded with sugar and in many cases can contain over 20g net carbs per slice!!! Not only does regular bread work against your weight loss goals, but it also spikes blood sugar, which is not good for sustainable energy levels throughout the day.
See this 2015 article from Everyday Health to learn about 5 reasons to skip white bread for good!
In some cases, white bread manufacturers are aware of their stripped nutrients and will opt-in for an enriched flour. This helps diminish a portion of their bad reputation in the sense that vitamin B and iron have been added back to the bread, but it still pales in comparison to the nutritional benefits of the highest quality ingredients blended together to form our recommendations above. Plus, brands like Slice of Life, who use almond flour get the best of both worlds; being flavourful & healthy and gluten-free!
Plus, the lack of fibre and protein in white bread also makes it rapidly absorbed by your body during digestion. Don’t be surprised if you feel fuller for longer if you choose from our bread options! White bread should be avoided and replaced with brands that use nutritious oats, grains, seeds or a blend of all three.
Where to Buy Low Carb Bread
Large grocery and big box stores are not doing enough to meet the health needs of consumers. The next time you’re shopping for groceries, try going through the bread section to find a low carb bread option. In most cases, it’s either not there, or it’s tucked away in a corner or in an area where you wouldn’t normally look for bread.
Even if you luck out and find a loaf in your local store, it may have been sitting around for a while, or may not be a reputable brand. We know it may feel a little weird at first, but for your health, we strongly suggest taking a look at our online inventory if none of our store locations are near you. If you have any questions, we do our best to respond quickly on Facebook and Instagram, as well by email at [email protected]. Our shipping is Canada-wide!
The Low Carb Grocery Inventory
At the Low Carb Grocery, we carry Canada’s widest selection of low carb and sugar-free foods. Here, we touched on low carb breads, but please visit our entire low carb lifestyle catalogue of blogs to learn about all the best and up-to-date health food trends. A honourable mention to our recommendations above is UnBun Foods. They offer a low carb and gluten-free variety of buns, baguettes and pizza crusts. They also have a plant-based keto bun for strict vegan dieters! A few more honourable mentions are Mama Lupe’s Tortillas, Joseph’s pitas and wraps, Flatout flatbreads, and Nuco coconut wraps. All of these products allow people on a low carb diet to enjoy tacos, burritos, pizzas, flatbreads, hamburgers, hot dogs and all of the best meals we love to eat!
Shop our Store Today!
Whether you’re new to low carb eating or a seasoned pro, you should always have the option to eat healthy breads that avoid sugar and carbs. The Low Carb Grocery is ready and knowledgeable to help you make that transition!
We also carry an extensive stock of crispbreads, pitas, and tortilla chips. Our mission is to make it easy for you to find and enjoy the best low carb products without any sacrifices. We follow a very strict procedure before bringing anything into our stores and online catalogue.
We hope that you learned a lot about low carb breads today. If you would like to reach us or join our 65,000+ member community, please head over to our Facebook and Instagram pages. We also love to read and reply to our reviews on Google, so please take a minute to let us know your thoughts there.
Please also consider subscribing to our Weekly Newsletters for updates on our latest products, news, blogs and sales!
Exclusive Blog Reader Discount! $15 off sub-total $100.00* + Free Shipping!
Just enter the following code during checkout: ALZDTC
- Minimum purchase of $100.00 required
- To qualify for free shipping – orders subtotal must be greater than, or equal to $100 (up to 10Kg)
- This offer may not be combined with other offers, limit 1 per customer