Miracle Noodles are a wonderful pasta and noodle alternative for people living the low carb lifestyle. In this post, we’re going to talk about a little known technique for preparing an amazing miracle noodle dish…. instructions that should have come with the product.
Miracle Noodles are very low or zero calories (depending on the type), a source of fibre, and help you feel fuller, between meals due to the natural characteristics of Konjac. Miracle Noodles, in particular, also have the benefits of being non-GMO Project Certified, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Kosher. No other konjac / shirataki noodle product has all these features.
Sounds all good — but then you go and buy your first pack and it’s not what most people expect. It’s a plastic bag with noodles floating inside a pool of liquid. When you open it up, there is an aroma — best described as “salty” which is what keeps the noodle fresh (don’t use the liquid – you’re supposed to drain it away). A lot of people get turned off by this smell and might even think it has gone bad,… but its completely normal. Then, following the instructions, you boil it for 5 minutes just as you would regular dry pasta.
After performing these steps, you might decide then to pour some tomato based pasta sauce on it. Voila! When you get is a sloppy mess because the sauce takes up some of the water that is carried by the noodles (the noodles lose a bit of water when cooked). Not totally appetizing, but edible.
After lots of experimentation with the noodles, here is how to prepare the noodles to make the meal exceptional!
- First, after draining out the fluid in the package, be sure to boil at least 5 minutes… I find even 8-10 minutes is just fine. Boiling longer seems to provide a better texture to the noodle in the latter steps.
- If you have meat toppings, onions, or other veggies that need to be cooked, cook them in advance (while the noodles are boiling, for example). You’ll be adding these as pre-cooked toppings.
- After boiling, drain the water and use a frying pan to pan-fry the noodles without any toppings. This process drives out any additional water that the noodles are prepared to release. Pan fry for at least another 3-5 minutes – the noodles won`t burn and won`t stick (in a non-stick pan) and I’ve done this for up to 10 minutes.
- When the noodles look fairly dry, you can start adding your sauce, being careful not to add too much — add just enough to coat the noodles.
- Continue to stir in the sauce and add toppings – if you have them. Continue to cook off excess moisture.
- Give a quick toss to mix everything and serve!
With these modified steps, you’ll have amazing tasting Miracle Noodles!